Punakaiki Rocks

At NBC we are focusing on the July Home learning for the school. There are heaps of tasks to do and they all give points. For my task I chose to pick the Punakaiki Rocks and learn about them. The task was originally to add our favorite food, which I will do but for now I am giving my information about the Punakaiki Rocks.

The Punakaiki Rocks were formed around 30 million years ago by miniature fragments of dead marine creatures and plants that landed on the seabed about 2 km below the surface.

Immense water pressure caused the fragments to solidify in hard and soft layers.

Here is also my favorite food!

My favorite food is cake.

Personally, I like sponge cake, and here is a recipe for it if you are interested! 🙂

Ingredients

• 225g softened butter
  • 225g golden caster sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • ½ lemon, zested
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 225g self-raising flour
  • splash of milk
  • Optional fillings of lemon curd, jam, lightly whipped cream
  • icing sugar for dusting

Method

• STEP 1

Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4, butter and line the base of two 20cm spring-form cake tins with baking parchment.

• STEP 2

Using an electric whisk beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Crack the eggs in one at a time and whisk well, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Add the lemon zest, vanilla, flour, milk and a pinch of salt. Whisk until just combined then divide the mixture between the two tins.

• STEP 3

Bake in the centre of the oven for 25-30 mins until a skewer inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean. After 10 mins remove the cakes from their tins and leave to cool completely on a wire rack. Fill how you like. My personal favourite is a good dollop of lemon curd and some fresh cream, then dust the top with icing sugar. Will keep for 3 days.

4 thoughts on “Punakaiki Rocks

1. Hey Emilee
    Lily here
    Really cool I’ve actually been too the Punakaiki Rocks. Next time you could add some more facts about the rocks. The recipe for the sponge cake was really cool. I liked how you put the ingredient in so we could make it. I also really like sponge cake as well! What filling do you like in it the best?

1. I like whipped cream!

I find it is really good with strawberry jam. I also like custard.

I will make sure to add more facts so it is more interesting.

2. Hi Emilee

Nice recipe on sponge cake .I like sponge cake do you like it? Next time you could shorten the post it is quite long to read. Ka pai Emilee

1. I am sorry for it being long.
      I tried to include the recipe

I will make it shorter next time, and yes! i love sponge cake 🙂